View Single Post
      02-25-2013, 04:47 PM   #5
fdpxfunix
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive 30d M Sport

Hi mjy2000

My X1 (18d sdrive) had a timing chain replaced along with a few other parts about a week ago. After picking it up and driving for a few days I noticed a slight vibration in the steering wheel and in the seat when the engine was idling. This was not there before the timing chain repair.

I drive the car anywhere between 3 and 5 hours a day getting stuck in traffic on the M25 and around Guildford, so noticed the vibration a lot. I know you zone in on things like this, but I'm convinced my hands and bum were tingling after the drives.

Anyway, car went back to the dealers on Wednesday last week. They've checked the repair was carried out correctly and that the car passes a Smooth Runnings test, whatever that is. They've also given the car to 2 different members of staff and had them drive the car for a day each.

The end result is... no issue found. They agree there's a vibration there, but no more than you can feel through the gear stick and is normal. They also said the Diesel engines will always transmit more vibrations through the car, and comparing an X1 to a new 320d, you'll not notice as much vibration in the 320d. In a way I agree with most of what they say as I had a loan 320d for 4 weeks... and that was very smooth ...but this vibration was not there before the repair, or was not as pronounced.

I did pose the question of now the timing repair has been made, could the X1 actually be running as it's supposed too. Of course the answer was yes.

I'm getting the car back tomorrow and told them I'll run it for a month and see how it goes. Maybe something will loosen up or wear a bit, but I'm probably hoping. What I am going to do in that time is visit another dealer and ask for their thoughts on the matter and get them to test drive etc.

I'll update this thread at the end of the week with how the car feels.

J.
Appreciate 0