Drives: X3M

Lightbulb First Reviews of TwinPower 4-cylinder N20 Engine in X1 28i

BIMMERPOST NEWS
First Reviews of TwinPower 4-cylinder N20 Engine in X1 28i
COMMENTS
Name:  N20B20.jpg
Views: 15210
Size:  114.4 KB
Some weeks ago, we brought you information on BMW's new turbo inline 4 petrol engine (N20B20) making its debut in the X1 xDrive 28i. Reviews from the first new X1 xDrive 28i press drive event in Slovenia are slowly trickling in this week, so here's a roundup so far.

In sum, all reviews out so far have nothing but good words for the new engine. The only drawback mentioned coming from the N52 is the engine sound. Other than that, all mags loved the low end torque which BMW apparently managed to combine with enough grunt at the higher revvs.

FYI, BMW has also hinted at the 1-series hatchback and the 3-series getting this engine when the new models launch later this year and early next year, respectively.

There's also speculation around a new range-topping X1. Some refer to a possible X1 xDrive 35i sporting the N55 engine, some even consider an X1 M being possible.

There's no word yet if the turbo inline4 petrol engine will be available when the X1 makes its US debut this Fall.

Stay tuned for more information and pictures on this new engine. In the meantime, enjoy these select quotes (which we translated) with respect to the new turbo 4 engine:

Quote:
Motorvision.de

"Driving the car you'll notice immediately that the engine response is excellent. There's virtually no lag, and the four cylinder delivers its torque strongly and evenly. An 8 speed automatic transmission is optional while all test cars were equipped with the standard 6 speed manual. There's no need to work the transmission while cruising as the engine allows you to keep high gears and low revs. High revs make the BMW let loose, and the engine revs more freely than other turbocharged 4-cylinders. The 2-litre turbo in the Golf GTI pants for air whereas the BMW engine reminds of someone breathing out calmly during a workout. The famous exhaust grunt of an inline 6 is gone, and there's a different feeling -- despite all its power. Driving the four [cylinder] appears to make for a good feeling, but it's no six [cylinder].
Quote:
N24.de

BMW enthusiasts probably worry the most about this: How's the engine sound? Not like a naturally aspirated 6-cylinder, that's for sure. But it's neither meant nor possible to do so. The turbo engine is smooth, yet sounds a bit grumpy while accelerating. At very low revs you even might hear a Diesel sound. That being said, this makes for a distraction only rarely.
Quote:
Spiegel.de

During our first drive, we could hardly notice it's an engine with two fewer cylinders -- not even while focusing on the engine sound. [...] If anything, it's only at full throttle that you would miss the distinctive sound of bigger engines. As expected, the 4 cylinder makes for a sound that's more faint and hoarse.

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0