11-01-2016, 08:38 PM   #78
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by tominavl View Post
OK, maybe I've got this wrong. I don't have the iDrive nor
did I ever sign up for concierge services. All i know is my car is equipped with an "SOS" button. Given that my airbag in my steering wheel is defective, I think at least a call to report my untimely death in the case of the Takata airbag exploding is a good idea. Yet that technology is also going bye-bye. And now they want me to pay for it. I just think it's a poor strategy for BMW if they want to appease their owners struggling with the Takata fiasco. Maybe if this airbag situation wasn't ongoing, I wouldn't care. But I do care, and this serves to only make my concern for the airbag issue more serious.
Here's the full list of stuff that BMW assist provides for 4 years for free with each car
http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...4andlater.aspx

The BMW assist functionality obviously limited without idrive (e.g. real time traffic, send destination to car, etc wouldn't be available, and SOS, unlock car, and stolen vehicle recovery look to be the key features that non iDrive cars have)

By the way, did you know that entire 2017 ferrari line up uses Takata airbags? Or that SOS and automatic collision notifications is only free for 6 month with mercedes (and $199/year afterwards). I don't believe either Porsche or Tesla offer automatic collision notification at all (I don't think Ferrari does either)

Personally, I do think you have it wrong. Each of us gets the 4 years free BMW assist, and we all have to pay to keep it active after 4 years, and the tech is being replaced to allow that to happen

You could show your displeasure by going to another company, but most of the usual BMW competitors either don't have the tech or in the case of MB, will charge you after 6 months of owning the car

Sure, it is upsetting to have recalls, and I supposed I could be accused of being a fanboy after putting up with stuff like my Z435 being in the shop ~16 times in 36 months, but on the other hand, I didn't really care that much since I got a sweet loaner each time (X5, 5er, 135is, 335 etc), and all of the usual German suspects have worse in cabin tech anyway

Best of luck getting your airbag replaced, and hope you don't let that get you too wound up and upset over X1 ownership

EDIT On an off topic note, I believe that the service each of us receives from BMW and other organizations is a combo of our approach/attitude, and the sales and service people we choose to work with. I've gotten my last few cars without setting foot in the dealerships (and have gotten great deals) and whenever I need maintenance of warranty repair I find myself in reasonably interesting cars (fully loaded 435 coupe with 61 miles most recently). My advice is to be really selective with your SA and CA, and treat them right with top survey results and a holiday card/gift, and also be respectful to people like porters and transportation associates. If you come in hot with "guns blazing" in person about your X1 like how you do on your forums, that could be why you get "bad service"......

EDIT2: sorry didn't mean to preach, but c'mon... this thread was about info for the retrofit.. not complaining about airbags

Last edited by nicknaz; 11-01-2016 at 08:45 PM..
Appreciate 0