View Single Post
      03-13-2015, 06:56 AM   #3
austinla335d
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

The practical sense of "returning and not looking back" that Danielj mentioned also has the supporting data to do just that. The X1 has been BMW's poorest North American performer. On the monthly sales spreadsheets BMW releases, I'm surprised they are continuing with the X1 at all... it's depressing to see just how few they sell and to see the quantities being used as loaners at the lots here in Southern California because they aren't selling. When you get a premium/sport/tech pack xdrive35i as a loaner, something's not right (but very enjoyable!).

The 36 mo 30k residual on a $40k X1 was around ~$21.5, but 1.5-2 year old 38-40k msrp X1's are available elite CPO listed in the $25k range. Just saw one with 10k miles and 12 months since purchase for 26,9, and it was a $39600 MSRP X1. Ouch! If it's sitting on a lot at $26,9, imagine two years from now. That'll be a sub-20k car at lease turn in, but look at your residual. It was likely .55 on a 10k/annual... but it won't have anything near that after 36 months with 30k miles. Moral of the story: You'd be financially best/better off to turn the lease in for a different BMW.

Don't get me wrong. We really like our X1, but we also spent about $3500 within weeks of buying it to satisfy a bad case of buyer remorse. When I see stock X1's, I have to admit how weak looking they really are. Not surprised that they aren't selling well but I am hopeful that the update will make the X1 a better all-rounder in the compelling aesthetics department.

Whatever you choose to do, you'll be able to get an insane deal on an X135i if that's really what you want.
Appreciate 0