View Single Post
      03-07-2011, 07:11 AM   #14
Denny Swift
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '22 992GTS; '20 Porsche Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by nockenpaul View Post
This problem is not an individual 18d issue, it appears on all current 4 stroke diesel engines used in the 1series, 3series and the X1. The cause is not the clutch itself. AFAIK the cause are longitudinal oscillations of the crankshaft. Replacing the clutch usually doesn't solve the problem in the long run. But it's possible to fix the problem for a while, by letting the clutch slip for a few seconds.
Can you explain further. I thought judder (by definition) was caused by an issue with the friction between the flywheel and the clutch friction plate. "Gunk" on the surface(s), slighly warped/uneven surface(s), pressure plate springs that are too week or defective, or defective anti-chatter springs could cause judder. I don't see how crank vibrations could cause judder. Judder is not vibrations. Can you give more information so I can understand?

My Subaru had really bad judder when new. They replaced the clutch twice under warranty but it still wasn't right. Finally, Subaru redesigned the pressure plate, installed a 3rd one (under warranty as well) and it's been fine.

Blaming it on bad driving habits is nonsense, and slipping the clutch to lessen it, is certainly not a longterm solution.
Appreciate 0