10-11-2012, 09:35 AM   #22
popopine
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Blk x3 m40eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusX1 View Post
I've had my manual X1 for 18 months now. The ASS system is an absoulute ass! I've nearly had accidents 5 or 6 times because it kicked in whilst I was actually still in gear - most times in 1st, once whilst I was in second. problem with it is that you think you've stalled it, so you jab the start button to restart which switches the car off completley, then you realise you've shut the car off so you jab at it again. That all takes a couple of seconds and your heart rate's gone up a few notches. My incidents happened crawling around shopping centre carparks and once while reversing out of an angled carpark out onto a road.
When it works predictably it is instantaneous from the moment you release the clutch.
How it goes on auto's I don't know, but if you can't program it off I'd question buying the car. For me, my dealer reprogrammed the car 2 months ago and it's a completely different car to drive because of my relaxed state now. It had got to a point where I was waiting for the ASS to kick in at every take off from an intersection.
Sounds like you had ASS PTSD!
Appreciate 0