View Single Post
      06-03-2015, 07:47 PM   #14
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: N55 X1, N54 135, s54 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0w40X1 View Post
I got the s28i, and I have a RX8 which I've both tracked. Do any of you have both to compare?

Yeah, the X1 is 700# heavier, but has 258# torque vs RX8 with claimed 159#.

The RX8 is very smooth, balanced, and easy to drive, but you have to drive like a go Kart to not lose speed on a curvy short track.

You can drive the X1 sloppy, and use power to make it look good.

My X1 will top out about 120 mph on a track that the RX8 will get about 110.

I said the X1 was the best car for me on a track, and I own a RX8; don't change my words and complain.

If you don't know what you're talking about hold your insults.
Hold my insults? Don't give advice if you don't know what you're talking about. Power (or torque) or straightaway speed has nothing to do with what makes a car handle better.

Yes, I've extensively tracked an RX8 (as well as an S2k, my E46 M3, my 135, and my X1). I've been a PCA instructor for about 10 years now.

All cars have to be driven at their limit (like a Go kart (sic)...what the hell does that even mean...inferring a momentum car?) to not lose speed on "curvy" tracks. That statement makes no sense at all. Even with more power to "make up" for bad driving, bad driving still hurts lap times.

And no, driven at the limit, DSC will SIGNIFICANTLY hinder your lap times. Inferring that if you "drive properly", your traction control will not come on is the completely ridiculous and down right stupid. That's why people laughed at you for saying it. No competent driver would run a faster lap time in an X1 DSC on vs. off. Any driving at or near the limit will have it cutting power left and right. Driving such that it never comes on means you're not even approaching the limits of the car, which means you're in no position to comment on a car's handling at the track. Even my wife is more than a few seconds faster on average with the DSC off in any of our cars around our local tracks.

Great, your X1 is a better track car for you, vs. some of the best track cars made in recent years. You've got to be kidding me.

Even a very, very average driver would demolish an N20 X1 with an RX8 around your average road course. Despite what you say, the RX8 is faster in a straight line (hell, call it equal). and it handles about 100 times better. So what are you talking about? That you're more comfortable driving a high, softly-sprung quasi SUV vs. a real sports car? OK...

Last edited by PrematureApex; 06-03-2015 at 07:57 PM..
Appreciate 0