04-20-2013, 07:33 AM   #22
E39lolz
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 x1 xDrive35i, '13 Mustang

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcwilcox View Post
I have a 2013 X1 sDrive 28i now with 1450 miles and I just had the oil changed as normal precaution. My BMW shop advised no need to change the auto or diff fluid. BMW will only change oil at 15K miles but I will have oil changed at 5K intervals as I've done on all my cars. I try to follow "old school" maintenance as recommended by Mike Miller of Bimmer and Roundel mags.
+1. I just dropped of my 35i @ my trusty indie with about the same mileage as yours for an oil change using the OEM filter and BMW 5w-30 factory filled oil. I think others on here are wrong about modern BMW engines not having metal shaving particles as I have read numerous online posts/Roundel tech talk articles of the importance of changing out the oil before 2k miles. I read somewhere that a n55 engine just quit @ only 600 miles due to extreme metal shavings down in the oil pan. Also a f10 535i (n55) had somewhat high metal deposits when the owner changed out his oil @ 1100 miles and a 335is owner changed out his oil @ 1900 miles with high metal deposits as well. I'll waste my money for this 'early pointless oil change' so I can sleep better tonight knowing that my break in oil is long gone. I plan on two (2) more oil changes before the dealer will change it @ 15k miles as I plan on keeping this car well past the warranty mark and beyond 100k miles. As for tranny/diff/xcase I may wait and change them out @ 30k mile intervals.
Appreciate 0