07-22-2010, 07:36 AM   #15
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindam View Post
Mario486 and kumiorava, I was wondering if there are any GPS units that will fit inside the centre console and you can close the cover? Thanks.
Hi lindam,

I am still waiting for my X1 so will only be able to tell you how mine fits in about 8 weeks time. However my current Garmin is quite compact and should easily fit. I am not sure however how you would fix the holder as mine has a simple suction cup and of course there is no power there. In my Golf and Mini I just leave it on the dash and follow the voice instruction.

I would like to add though that there is a BMW after market SatNav that is actually fitted inside that centre console bin. It is also removable as far as I know and is also powered from there. From the pictures in the BMW brochure it also looks as if they replace the console "insert" with a SatNav spesific one. It does seem as if it loses the lid though. Unfortunately I don't have the accessories brochure with me at the moment but if you are interested I can get you the part number and you can ask your dealer.

Some of the forum members here may ask why not just put in the SatNav option to start with? In the UK the basic built-in SatNav is around £1500, the one I mention above is £499 plus fitting from BMW.

Update: I have looked in the accessories brochure but there is no part number. For the X1 they list two that can be built in, the BMW Integrated Portable Navigation System Pro (£499) which also has built in power and the BMW Integrated Portable Navigation System Plus (£399) for which I have no further info. There is another non-model spesific portable one (£179) but it looks like a BMW branded Garmin at twice the price.

Last edited by mario486; 07-22-2010 at 04:08 PM..
Appreciate 0