12-04-2010, 06:35 PM   #52
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatekeeper View Post
The line-up also clearly demonstrates that the X1 is not quite an SUV in the likes of the rest of the X-Line.

Even though many auto magazines have run tests mixing X1, Q5, Freelander etc... I see the X1 much closer in concept to an A4 AllRoad (rather than Q5) within the same category, where a Q5 is much closer to the X3.

Dare I say it, but maybe the X1 shouldve been in a range of its own ?
Interesting point, I think that the X1 is more of a crossover than SUV. Comparing it to the A4 all road is imo not quite right as it has a higher ground clearance and significantly more suspension travel. The A4 also feels more like a regular estate with a few bolt on bits. The X1 does not look like the traditional 4x4's and it is not by any means in the league of a Discovery, Hilux, Range Rover etc off road. The Q5 again is a strange one. It looks to me like a SUV but has the same offroad features as the A4 on which its based. The X1 drives better and has more interior space. So I think you are right in that its probably on its own at the moment. There is nothing else quite like it in the UK market.
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela
Appreciate 0