mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatekeeper View Post
Hi Mario,

No, the tax bracket on 4WD company vehicles here triples the amount you have to pay for a 2WD. Not worth it.

Besides I really like RWD cars... I drove Caprices, CrownVics CVPI and Magnums SSP when I was in Ontario, and never got stuck anywhere.

With only 2 winter tires on a RWD, you just have to be careful when turning sharply on ice or snow, as the car will have a tendency to go straight and oversteer (as if you were driving a FWD) because of the enhanced traction on the rear wheels, which is the opposite of its natural behaviour otherwise (RWDs understeer and thus fishtail).

As BigDave said earlier, ideally you should get 4 Winter tires...

*** By the way, all-season tires should have the mention M+S, as in Mud & Snow"
I agree on the RWD, they are a lot more fun to drive. The X1 is the first 4x4 I have actually bought although I have a fair bit of experience driving 4x4s through past work. Its also my first diesel. Saying that the X! is rear wheel biased until you need it. I bought the X1 primarily as a small and safe family load lugger and added the XDrive as we go off the beaten track regularly in the highlands. Must say though that I am chuffed to bits about both (4x4 and diesel) as it just gives me that added confidence in mud/snow on farm tracks. I am really enjoying the car but at the end of the day when I want some fun I take out the wee Mini Cooper. It has a lot less power and is slower than the BMW but boy is it a blast. Everything feels fast
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela
Appreciate 0