View Single Post
      03-05-2013, 10:37 AM   #53
Teleskier
Private
Rep
Drives: '13 X1 20mpg, '01 VW TDI 55mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirpitz View Post
If you drive it like a Prius you can hit the EPA numbers. If you drive it like a BMW you'll be way off but probably enjoy yourself much more. I drove aggressively coming back and by the time I got home I'd pushed the MPG down to 22.
I **AM** driving it like a Prius. In pathetic slow eco-mode. MUCH slower than my TDI would drive away from every stop. It doesn't matter HOW you drive it, it NEVER gets anywhere close to 30-something mpg.

I am very frustrated with the extremely poor gas mileage I am seeing with this car! I've now done three highway-only VT ski trips - all have the same poor 21 mpg.

No matter how I drive (eco vs comfort, but hardly ever sport) or what fuel I use (Euro premium vs US premium vs US regular) or how many of my usual eco driving tricks I use (coasting in N down every hill or stop, drafting behind trucks, auto start/stop at EVERY stop)... I only see 20-22 mpg!! Pathetic!

I NEVER see the 33 mpg hwy that BMW and the EPA promise for this car.

21 mpg is ridiculous - this is not a large roomy car or SUV!

It feels like I'm driving a Suburban - the way it hoggishly sucks down all the gas in seconds! Every time I look down - the tank has less - I bet you could actually watch the needle move down as you drive.

Each Vermont ski trip now takes TWO tank refills - one each way?!?! With the TDI I never thought twice about driving anywhere. I'd fill the TDI up before the trip, get there and back, and have enough to last the rest of the week. The X1 range seems only 300 miles, versus 700-800 miles range on TDI. Now I ask: is this free VT ski ticket worth it since the crappy X1 will take $80-$100 just to get me there and back. This is making me pissed!!

I didn't think the X1 would be as good as a VW TDI in mileage performance, but only slightly (33mpg vs 50mpg) worse. 21 mpg is pathetic for a 'smaller 4-cyl' eco-car that is supposed to be good on mileage.

Here are my two screenshots - the first one is for the ENTIRE first 2K miles I put on the car in Europe. The second is one was reset to capture an entire recent VT ski trip (this one like the other three ski trips - pulled out all the eco stops - eco mode the whole trip, premium gas, coasted in N down every hill, drafted 3ft behind tractor trailers for sections, auto-off on every stop, watching the mpg needle like a hawk to minimize my foot push, etc). Did no good... I only get 21mpg no matter what I do.

Also keep in mind that when I measure my mpg manually (miles/gallons filled up), I always see less actual mpg than the above computer screens show (up to 1 mpg less than shown on the screen).

I'd be OK if I got 30-something pulling out all the tricks... but nothing I can do gets the car anywhere near 30+ mpg. I feel scammed.

What are you seeing for a complete highway trip? For a whole gas tank?

Last edited by Teleskier; 03-05-2013 at 11:03 AM..
Appreciate 0