05-12-2017, 02:01 PM   #29
zeevette
Unllicensed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0w40X1 View Post
Why? Do people think Xdrive is only way to get through snow?

I think snow tires for winter on a s28i will work fine.

People down here put up with snow, no xdrive, and only long wearing low traction all season tires.

There might be more slick days in Amarillo TEXAS than near the Washington, or Oregon coast.

For example, Kennewick Washington next to where you live gets average 9.8 inches of snowfall/ year while Amarillo area gets 17.8 inches snowfall/year.

I've heard of like 20 or 30 slick days, and never hear of people having snow tire preparation.

I flee the snow to another country during winter, and keep summer tires on my cars. I drove my s28i with summer pirelli P7's during a snow storm at 30 deg just before I put it away. Road was slushy, and had no looseness; or course next morning would be bitch for any car.

Of course not. I grew up in the mountains of Idaho, when there was nothing but RWD, but the area I live in now is usually quite arid. When we do get bad roads, the typical driver in my area is almost paralyzed if they don't have AWD. It's just a local weirdness. I've never seen a 2WD X type in my area, despite the little need of one. OTOH, we often have to go over passes in the winter to watch the Seahawks, and there's lots of snow there.
Appreciate 0