View Single Post
      06-28-2012, 08:47 PM   #5
ddavid1101
Rep
Drives: X1

Just got back from just viewing a couple of cars. Went to compare the folllowing:

X1, X3, GLK, Q5, SC60, CRV, Infiniti EX

I put infiniti on here because my friend has one and he's got a new born. I have been in his car a couple of times and the stroller barely fits in the car with little room for other things.

X1 is just between a wagon and a SUV. good head room(I'm 6'2) both front and back.

Trunk space is decent. Surface area is similar or a bit smaller than Infiniti but height is about double so that's good. Capacity is smaller compared to other SUVs but should do what we need it to do for now.

Front seats are comfy and I can fit in fine. I can adjust the driver seat to what I like and I went to the seat behind it, I can just fit in. I think I can last a good 3-5 hour trip in there. there looks to be plenty of room for a child seat.

This car is really for my wife and she's 5'6 at 110lb so it will still feel big but not too big to scare her when driving(feel like driving a truck).

We currently have a 5 month old Hyundai Sonata and it's really big. I think we are good for a good 2-4 years with 1 or maybe 2 kids. If anything, I can trade in my sonata for a bigger SUV and treat the X1 as the sedan.

Our goal was to look for a good SUV with really good milage. Currently, only CRV but thats not even a new engine. X1 is attractive because:

1) new engine and tech 24/33 in the US (vs all others at mid 10s/20s)
2) it's a BMW
3) we can do ED, my wife wants another trip to Europe and I have always wanted to do ED since I met someone from LA in Munich who was doing their ED back in 2007
4) It's dirt cheap assuming I can do ED invoice +500-1000 therefore around 27.5-28K USD (Only 4-5K away from CRV)

I'm going to go test drive it tomorrow/Saturday. I think we are going to be set on it. Even though my wife has not seen it and is back in Texas. Should be fine, at 27-28K for a BMW, you cant go wrong + a road trip in Europe!

Thanks for the pics and support mabrahams. I'll keep you posted on the test drive. Though I doubt I will be disappointed.

I do hope it has some good sound/vibration dampening(general quiet cabin). Also, Dallas highways are concrete and not ashefalt so you can hear a lot. I can feel each bump/crack etc on my Sonata(combination of lack of sound proofing, sports suspension and 18' alloys).

Fingers crossed, ED Sept/Oct!
Appreciate 0