View Single Post
      10-18-2012, 11:52 PM   #32
edx1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive35i

Thanks for all your comments tonight. Good points and it's nice to hear your experiences.

Tonight I was popping around google and youtube. 3 things have been on my mind. First was that the 3 series has the n20 and n55 both paired with the 8 speed transmission. Second is that people on the 3 series boards are hinting the n20 has more hp potential than the n55. Third is that the 8 speed transmission might not have all the bugs worked out.

First the 2013 3 series 328i xdrive and 335i xdrive both have the same engine options as the X1 but both are matched with the same 8 speed trans as the xDrive28i X1. I thought those facts might give a little insight into how much of a difference really there is between the two engines vs the trans. Online reviews ranged anywhere for 0-60 from about 4.7-5.2 for the n55 and 5.3-6.1 for the n20 but it looks like about a half second difference most of the time, pretty close IMO between the two engines. It also means the 8 speed transmission is worth, very roughly, a half second or less if we consider there's a 1 second diff between the two engines with different transmissions on the X1.

As for the 8 speed transmission quality, there are some threads around the internet that talk about the 8 speed trans having a possible hesitation quirk at low rpm (or just after the gas is applied). Some people have gone as far as using test equipment to prove/show there is a problem. Lots of things have been ruled out (traction control and so on) but it makes me wonder if the 8 doesn't have all the bugs or design issues worked out. There are several posts of 8 speed transmissions self destructing and I looked for threads with problems with the 6 speed and I couldn't find (so far?) find complaints -- google "bmw 8 speed transmission hesitation" to find a few of the threads. It makes me wonder if the 'cheaper' route could be the n55/6trans to hopefully avoid costly trans problems 10-15 years down the road. The ZF 8HP transmission is used on a dozen BMW models and a dozen other manufacturers as well, so I wonder what's going on and I'm only posting to say that I'm trying to dive deeper to be more informed.

Concerning the n20 vs n55 themselves, I've never modded a car and don't have plans to start but they are saying for about $375 you can get over 300hp out of the n20 which in my mind makes me think the n20 is the real winner between the two since the mpg might still be better on the n20 with that mod than just a stock n55. Of course life, reliability and other aspects go out the window any time you do any tweaking. It's interesting at least and makes me wonder if it can be done with the 3 series, if the X1 would be the same but I don't think that possibility is worth enteraining unless it's been fully proven and no downsides which could easily never happen. But if it is true, the only difference for my two options is for $25 more I'd have xDrive35i badges and servo stearing if the n20 was modified to 300hp like the n55 but with that $25 I'd not have the premium package.

As you can imagine I'd like to dig some more and see if the 8spd really does have potential problems. If not I think the xDrive28i is the way probably the better way to go for me.

Oh, one other thing that I'm seeing on the 3 series boards, are there are a number of people who got the 328i and are regretting not going for the bigger 335 n55 motor. There's an interesting thread to read (trolling) about the 3 series being boat like. People sure can let their worsts out, wow.

Anyway, just my ramblings and thoughts for the night. Thanks again for your thoughts too.
Appreciate 0