06-12-2013, 02:11 PM   #9
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Le Mans blue X1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naambezet View Post
I have done as low as 6 L/100km, just drive slowly, around 100km/h and no hard accelerations.
But that is boring ass hell, so I'm mostly doing about 9L/100km
It's not necessarily hard accelerations that kills fuel economy.
It's regaining momentum that's the killer.

As long as your accelerations don't engage the turbo, it doesn't matter much whether you take 10 seconds to get to speed slowly, or 5 seconds to get to speed quickly and then coast for 5 seconds.
But if you brake and then have to go back up to the same speed, that'll cost you.
The bigger the difference in speed, the more fuel.
  • If you drive towards a red light and stop from 40 to 0, it will cost you a lot more gas than if you quickly brake from 40 to 20 and roll towards the light which goes green while you're still doing 20. Even if you are way behind all the other cars when it turns green. To save fuel, brake early, brake lightly.
  • If you try to maintain an exact speed, you'll use more fuel. That includes using the cruise control. It doesn't know that when going up a small slope, it's ok to drop 10 mph, because you'll regain it rolling down the other side. It doesn't know that you have to slow down for the curve coming up, and will maintain the speed until you have to brake, which is wasteful.
  • Wider turns allow you to maintain more momentum. It's the minimum speed you have at any point through the curve that'll cost extra fuel.

It's easy to get my 35i to do better than 28 mpg if I think "momentum", even if accelerating quicker than the average person does. But it takes always thinking ahead, and driving like that won't always make you friends on the road.
Appreciate 0