View Single Post
      08-22-2012, 04:35 AM   #20
Mulberry
Catuvellauni
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive23d MSport

Update: The car is just over two and a half years old now and my tyres needed changing several weeks ago so it was time to consider trading in my X1. The Porsche Macan is still not available, and as there was nothing else that tempted me I decided to upgrade my wheels and possibly brakes.

Not as easy as I first thought. The BMW Performance braking system is not compatible with the X1 due to weight differences between the X1 xdrive and 3 series, and therefore not encouraged by BMW UK. Then there was a two week delay for the new wheel and tyre set......they had to be imported from Germany even though the wheels are listed as a standard upgrade for the X1

My original wheels were BMW type 323, 18" Blade design. The tyres were Goodyear Efficient Grip Run Flats:

F: 225/45R 18 91V
R: 255/40R 18 95V

New wheels and tyres: BMW Performance type 324, 19" V Spoke design in Ferrick Grey. The tyres are Pirelli Pzero Run Flats:

F: 225/40R 19 89W
R: 255/35R 19 96W

I was worried about the quality of the ride using 19" with run flat tyres when coupled with sports suspension, but need not have been. In my opinion the Pirelli's possibly give a smoother ride with less road noise, and after driving the car on the same roads (before and after) there is no noticable difference in drive comfort.

The wheels have really changed the look of the car so I'm pleased I made the decison.

Next? Perhaps Hartge springs as they lower the car by 30 mm. I'm currently checking what the difference between my sports springs and the normal X1 springs is. From memory I think I was told that the car was 10 mm lower with the BMW sports springs.Then possibly once the car is out of warranty the Hartge tuning package?

I've also now got a spare set of unmarked, never kerbed or restored BMW type 323 alloys. They've done 17000 miles from new, and I'm considering having them fitted with winter tyres unless anybody in the UK is interested in them?
Attached Images

Last edited by Mulberry; 11-15-2012 at 09:39 AM..
Appreciate 0