View Single Post
      07-02-2010, 03:37 PM   #5
lakesman
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive23d

hI

Does anyone have any experience of the BMW Alpine upgrade? This upgrade simply involves swapping out the standard door mids and tweeters, and driving them and the existing underseat subs from a new 2ch Alpine amp installed in the trunk, the amp being input by the HU front speaker outputs. It is relatively cheap, (£300+), and in my case, my dealer was only asking for around £150 to install it which, at that price, I would prefer to removing door cards myself etc. However, whilst a very popular upgrade for the 1 series, and also for the 3 series, I have read that the acoustics of the X1 cabin are such that it tends to absorb bass. Also the Alpine sound is sometimes said to be quite bright, a situation which could be made worse if the bass gets somewhat lost. Hence I was wondering if it would be preferable to go for a 3rd party 4ch amp and thus drive the door speakers and the subs separately. The beauty of the Alpine upgrade is that it is BMW approved and thus it is not only covered by their warranty, but it would not affect the original car warranty.
Appreciate 0