View Single Post
      10-02-2012, 05:20 PM   #7
maxdriver
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ‘23 GRolla; MDX S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
My wife is a slow learner, or doesn't believe me when I talk about the various benefits of a manual. So her cars have all been automatics. I've tried driving them in manual mode, but find that it really doesn't replace the amusement of a real manual and only serves to remind me that I'm not really driving a manual.

The 8s cars I've driven in manual mode (X1 28i, F30 328i and 335i and a friend's A6) just feel odd, the spacing between gears is really small and efficiency they have over manuals starts to disappear very quickly if you let them rev over 2k rpm, which just seems better suited to diesels. A friend has a 7s manual 991 and it's similarly weird, the gear box is drive by wire and always feels odd and I find myself using 2, 4 and 6 for nearly all driving.

I know I'm a curmudgeon, but I still prefer a 5s manual to 6s except the very rare case where 6 is more than just a huge overdrive.
You make perfect sense to me, I am no fan of the auto manuals. My wife's car is a G37 with a 7-spd auto and I just leave it in full auto mode virtually every time I drive it. Cannot get into shifting without a clutch....
Appreciate 0