View Single Post
      04-05-2017, 01:01 PM   #285
spoolinX1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1

My B6's finally arrived from Germany this week after waiting 2 months.

About to install a B6 / H&R combo this weekend. I've extensively read through the posts and think I'll be able to tackle this myself based on the helpful tips you guys have shared. (I've lowered about a dozen Japanese cars in the past and one VW Jetta)

I'll be trimming the front interior Bilstein bump stops and also my factory rear bump stop as you guys have recommended. Seems like that has worked well for everyone.

I've got a spreader tool to open up the knuckle, a compressor with impact gun and spring compressors.

Just one question. Have we decided yet which is the absolute best method for pulling the factory front struts out without popping the shaft out of socket? Or is that not even a possibility? I'm a bit nervous about this.

So far, I've heard of three methods:
1. Dropping the knuckle off of the bottom of the strut while it's still bolted to the car at the top. This will allow you to drop the strut downward and out.
2. Attempting to compress the front spring while still on the car. This will allow you to potentially clear the wheel well and swing out from the top.
3. Dropping the knuckle off the bottom of the strut AND compressing the springs while still bolted in. This makes the most sense from a clearance perspective, as you are not only shortening the length of the entire assembly, but also allowing extra clearance at the bottom. As PrematureApex mentions, this may introduce the greatest chance of popping the CV joint out.

(edited to add third option)

Just wondering if we've determined the absolute best approach yet.

Last edited by spoolinX1; 04-06-2017 at 01:22 PM..
Appreciate 0