View Single Post
      10-30-2012, 11:43 AM   #5
edx1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive35i

That makes sense for the most part, but since the front is a /45, why didn't they do 255/45/R18 on the rear instead of 255/40/R18?

The 1.5mm difference is right near 2/32" which is maximum difference similar (audi, merc, etc) recommend for their awd cars which already kind of puts you at the border doesn't it? Or has BMW said for sure that any tread depth difference between from and rear is fine? It can't mess with traction control or anything else if they rotate at difference rates?

I did some reading up on staggered and it sounds like cars with staggered understeer, so I just want to verify that the better term for wider rear tires is that 'the rear tires don't slide out as much' since they are what changed and are wider(better grip)? Is it actually better or safer to not have staggered for the whole '50/50 balance' of a bmw so it's more predictable and controllable in fast cornering?

I'm also reading that tire warranty becomes very complicated with staggered. Michelin it sounds like only gives you half the tread wear warranty if you have staggered tires. Something about 'you could have got more miles if you could rotate them all around equally'. Also some people mention tire manufacturers won't give you their tread wear warranty unless all 4 tires are at 2/32 wear (kind of low for safety imo) but with wider rears, do they wear faster or slower? I would expect slower but what I've read makes it appear they wear faster but I never could find information about non rwd only cars.

I think for winter though I'll just get a new 4 wheel and tire set of 225/45/r18 all around. Also who knows how this will play with tread wear warranty if I'm not keeping the same wheels on year round, guess I have to hope that noting mileage when they're changed is good enough...

Anyway, I like the wheels and the idea of better performance/safety when driving around corners but I wonder if going with the 323 staggered is actually a bad idea?
Appreciate 0