View Single Post
      01-02-2014, 10:54 PM   #16
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

With blizzaks its good enough that in the middle of a blizzard here in Connecticut I felt 100% comfortable heading to a bar to meet a friend. Just got home and the car is amazing. Nearly 50/50 weight distribution + AWD + snow tires = incredible snow performance. Rolled over unplowed roads like nothing.

Keep in mind I've grown up driving in the snow thanks to being from the northeast, but it's the best car I've had so far in the snow. As long as the driver keeps in mind that stopping/turning traction is limited by the surface more than accelerating traction is, you'll be in great shape.

Quote:
One caveat with AWD vehicles; you can be moustrapped into thinking that there is more traction than actually exists, based on how easily the vehicle accelerates.
Yup. I don't care what tires or vehicle you have - if it's 8 degrees Fahrenheit out with wet snow like it is in CT right now, you're going to slide if you lock up the brakes. However, the X1 has very high limits if you know what you are doing as a driver. Go to a parking lot, disable DTC and DSC and practice.
Appreciate 0