View Single Post
      05-01-2013, 10:40 AM   #3
mullini
Mullini
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 i3 BEV

Just a quick note - that slight "crackling" from the dash facade was annoying me as well. Recently it is more intermittent and less noticeable. I trace this back to a weekend when I visited friends in Palm Springs. It wasn't PS at its hottest but it got into high 80s/low 90s while my car was parked outside. When I left to drive home it was pretty damn hot in there (all black interior). In the following days I began to realize, the crackling was not nearly so noticeable.

I'm not even going to speculate on any "physics" type explanation of why that is, if I am right that something about being left out in PS heat affected the cause of the crackling.

By the way, a previous time I visited those PS friends it was July, and I had an older IPod in the car. Parked in the sun again (no alternative). It developed black streaks across the screen! I didn't care since it was my oldest IPod, but at some point those streaks disappeared. PS heat requires a lot of attention. My friends said if they leave for a few days they have to set the AC to come on, because the house can heat up so much that there can be damage to the electrical system. To enjoy temps in the 60s-70s in winter, PS requires you live with 90-100 for about half the year...

Still curious to hear what a dealership could do regarding the crackling, as I have a feeling it may return.
Appreciate 0