View Single Post
      10-06-2012, 03:07 PM   #11
jnm
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: fast, but could be faster

Small update from the road (where I can't really post pictures):

Today drove from Venice to Innsbruck going through the Gavia Pass (SS300) (described by my wife as "it's not a road, it's a mountain goat trail!" (not much of an exaggeration just go to youtube and search for it to get an idea). On some switchbacks I actually had to look through the glass roof in order to see if a car was coming down or not before taking the curve.

Then this was followed by going over the Stelvio Pass ... another incredible car, with more amazing scenery. Cornering heaven!

How did the X1 do? Well in terms of power I'm still in break-in but so it's inconclusive but for the following observations:

- if you press the button to turn traction control off, it's still mostly on (and pressing it for 3 seconds still does not completely disable it) ... boooooo BMW! ):

- I was soooooo missing the paddles, I did all the twisty bits in S mode but still on those hairpin switchbacks it gets confused between 1st and 2nd and it's not smooth: boooooo BMW USA for screwing me out of my steering wheel with paddle shifters!!! ):

- The car does not like it if you try to do hand-brake turns: it beeps at you to tell you you're driving with the hand brake on... really??

Now on the good side:

- the car handles very well, though it prefers medium twisty stuff and sweepers to the super-tight stuff of the mountain passes there's still not much to complain about for what the car is. The X-drive is definitely a little bit under-tired in the front (probably to make it safely under-steery at the limit)

- Thumbs up on the steering feel on the X-drive

- 4 wheel drive balance seems well judged. Couldn't have fun sliding the rear out though (traction control that can't be switched off completely)

- brakes are good with good feel, no complains here either

- Gearbox is no DSG (DCT) unfortunately but does win some points for being an 8 speed with the D and S modes pretty well judged (except in tight switchbacks).

- Engine starting to loosen up nicely (lots of engine braking going down those passes! ) and I still like it. Seems to like 100 (Euro) octane premium, builds speed pretty deceptively but still very nicely. It's not a "fast" car but it's pretty darn "quick". Engine seems also quite willing to rev (still need a few more Km of breaking in before I can explore upper rev range though).

- Superb freeway cruiser: wants to go 100 Mph in total comfort and quiet, you think you're going 80 but you look down and find yourself much closer to 100. That naughty engine and tall gearbox plot together to sneak up speed on ya!
Appreciate 0