08-20-2010, 11:06 AM   #17
STE92VE
STEVIL Empire
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by epiphone3 View Post
Is it really such a bad thing to be built at the South Carolina plant? My understanding was that this plant was rated quite well.
The SC plant, like all BMW manufacturing facilities have top notch quality control and the robots that do the body assembly are the same in SC as the ones in Germany. None the less, mistakes do happen, even in Germany, and I can testify to that fact. But, I'm not under liberty to discuss the details.

My personal preference would be to have a car made in Germany. I'm also more inclined to purchase an X1 made in Germany that has been real life road tested since 2009 and has had the opportunity to have qwerks worked out than to buy a first MY X3 made in SC. I think this is the real reason why they are delaying the US launch of the X1, to get as many X3 sales as they can from those who are coming off lease or need another X type sooner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgb1974 View Post
Any chance one of the X1 models will be a diesel?
It's a possibility but whether it's initially offered with a diesel or it will become available down the road, is anyone's guess at this point unless you're Norbert Reithofer (he may not even know...).
Appreciate 0