mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnut View Post
Hi all:
Is there anyone here who is a 6+ footer with 2 kids in car seats?
We Canucks do not have access to the X1 yet, but based on everything I've read, it looks like it'll be my next AWD vehicle when it goes on sale here in Canada sometime next spring --- providing it will hold 2 toddler seats in the rear (rear and forward facing).
We currently have a 2010 Subaru Forester - which I really like, but I promised my sister she could have it sometime next year (because her 9 year old Rav4 is falling apart).
My main concern is interior room for me, my wife and the 2 gandkids.
I'm 6' 5" (196 cms) and fit fine in my Forester with my grandson behind me in a front facing toddler car seat and there's sufficient room behind my wife for a rear facing car seat.
The GLK350 and Audi Q5 also have sufficient room, but I prefer the handling and performance of the BMW to other brands ( I currently have the 1-series Cabrio & had a Z4 prior to that), so I'm going for either the X1 or the X3.
My preference is for the X1 as the X3 has grown in proportions.
Any feedback will be welcomed.
TIA.
Hi carnut,

Not quite as tall as you but still a lanky 6' 1". My six year old son sits behind me no problem in a full Britax booster seat. In the UK the front seat airbag de-activation as well as 2x2 isofix mounts points on the rear seats are standard but do check where you are.

In my opinion the X1 has more space incl legroom than the 3-series. Partly because you sit higher in the vehicle, ie the drop between your bum (if you will pardon the expression) and your feet is more. The only negative is that my son has to step on the door sill to get in the back, rather than step over it, as the car is higher than a sedan off the ground. The front doors come with sill protectors in the UK but not the back ones so I stuck some of that 3M paint protector film on which works a treat.

Not driven the Forrester and we don't get the GLK here but did test drive the Q5 as well. Did not like the offset driving position and had a sore back after 50 miles so quickly crossed it off my list. X1 handles better as well in my opinion.

Lastly, my wife is a lot shorter than me so we opted for the electric seats with memory, best money I have spent on an option on the car. Also went for the sport seats with electric lumbar support which is really nice.
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela
Appreciate 0