View Single Post
      05-26-2017, 01:03 PM   #123
advantage20
Major
France
Rep
Drives: 330d

With the reveal of this concept, BMW has again explicitly reasserted its ambition to become the #1 manufacturer in the luxury segments. Right now it is pretty obvious that Mercedes-Benz is #1 in terms of sales, high-end model variety, and luxury perception in the eyes of the public, with offers that BMW simply hasn't countered, even if we include Rolls-Royce.

The confirmed X7 and the potential 9 Series sedan would be an important step ahead, but it would be a real shame not to endow this reborn 8 Series with a V12 version, even if it will make a minority of all sales. The 8 will be BMW's top of the line model (at least until the potential 9 Series and the iNEXT...), it will carry the E31's heritage, and if executed properly it will be a vehicle that can proudly stand alongside an S65 or a DB11. I'm sure that the development cost would be worth it anyway in terms of image building.

Now of course it all depends on the technical compatibility of the V12, and on the question whether a V12 M860i wouldn't overlap too closely with a V8 M8 and mutually cancel each other's credibility, with the twist that while the V12 S65 has higher power figures than the V8 S63, it would be the other way round on the 8 Series. Let's hope BMW releases info about the engine range anytime soon. The guy in the AutoBild video does say there will be an M860i but it's pretty unclear whether he takes that from official info or just personal speculation.

Last edited by advantage20; 05-26-2017 at 01:12 PM..
Appreciate 0