View Single Post
      07-02-2012, 09:38 PM   #8
ddavid1101
Rep
Drives: X1

Hey W,

I'm a bit on the fence now. I was in Canada for the past couple of days and sat in a bunch of cars listed above.

If you have not had a chance to sit in one, it's very similar in spacing as the Infiniti EX. Cargo space in width/length is just about the same(X1 is a tad smaller than EX) but EX has height in cargo up to the privacy screen of about 1 feet or so. The X1 is about 1.5-2 feet. Another post here has the exact measurements. It can fit a stroller no problem, and prob some groceries on the side and maybe on top of it.

I personally feel that the Q5 would be perfect, but the milage is just not up to par.

I drove the new 328 and X1. Both performed very similar. I find the interior finishing not as good as the new 328. It's got a tad more road noise than the 328.

My other observation is shockingly, the new 328(2012) got more seating room with the exception of headroom than the x1. The trunk on paper is bigger than X1. the area(width by length) is bigger than X1 with only X1 beating it out with height(trunk height).

I feel I'm truly looking for a x3,q5,GLK type of a car. A car that my family can grow into. I feel that the X1 is just a tad too small, it can at best be a family car far a baby for 1-4 years then it can be treated as the commuter. I think the other's I have listed above can really be used and grow into for a long time. But none of them meets my requirement of good milage(all being about 2/3 the X1). The other benefit is the price, it's dirt cheap compared to the competitors. I plan on doing ED on this and it should come out at 28K(ED Invoice + 500-1K).

I think if I go for this, I need to understand that at best, this will be good as the primary family car for 3-4 years after which it will be treated as the commuter/secondary car.

I'm really on the fence now. It's cheap, it's BMW quality, road trip in europe cheaper than a 3series wagon or the EX or 328, but upgrade will be required in 3-4 years. It's really a a tad tall 3 series wagon. height would be the difference would be half the difference between the wagon and X3.

Let me know your thoughts. What are you thinking of? How many kids do you have or plan to have? Will this be your primary car(road trips, family trips)?
Appreciate 0