View Single Post
      02-07-2012, 04:37 PM   #126
dieslengine4ever
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 23D Manual

Hi all, this may be an answer from 'good ol blighty'.

I took it in to the dealership as I noticed the car rolls an inch before the handbrake bites when I park on a small or large incline. I also noted that when there is a bit of moisture in the air and parked on an incline, it causes the pads to lock onto the discs. This happens before and after the working day. To move off I have to 'rock' the car in the opposite direction to the direction of intended travel in order to release the pads. If not locking, then a screeching can be heard for approx 500 feet. After that there is no noise. This also happened on my 320d. This time I wanted answers.

The explanation given by the service manager was that BMW use 'floating' brake discs. The purpose is to self tension. It is also quite normal.

'If' I understand correctly, this design needs to stay pretty close to the discs in order to brake as there is no spring mechanism to release. It may also reduce 'warping' from heat expansion under braking due to the floating mechanism. Please feel free for someone far more technical in brake design to expand or shoot me down on this.

It was also stated that to apply the handbrake correctly pull the lever ‘all’ the way up. Many other manufactures have a short travel especially Ford (UK). When people cross over to BMW they experience the car rolling away from them on inclines because they have applied 5 clicks rather than 'topping' off the handbrake travel.

It would appear the squeaky brakes is another BMW characteristic just like the infamous clutch judder, which it is advised to hold for 2-5 secs on the clutch (like burning it out)....