Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallshortguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by cSurf View Post
I don't really understand this.

BMW built their reputation on making mundane 4-door sedans fun to drive.

If BMW's series (and M car derivatives) were the best cars in their respective classes (as they were for so long), then do they need really need a halo car?

What does a 918 competitor accomplish?

Why not plow the money this would cost into figuring out how to make a parallel (to UKL) small-sedan RWD platform viable?

In the long run, that'll carry the brand much further than a low-volume hybrid meant to compete in a class that doesn't present much of an ROI for BMW (or its customers).

#hurryupwiththem2
Halo cars aren't there to provide good ROI by itself as most end up barely making money, it's to provide a highly visible aspirational platform (wall poster car) for the brand.

Also, I believe there was an interview wherein it was said the UKL platform was modular enough that a RWD configuration was possible.
To me, for BMW, the M2 should be the poster car.

Ferrari and Mclaren make money on these super cars and VAG can afford frivolities like the 918.

Elsewhere- 'poster' or 'halo' cars are created to paint a portrait of a brand that a photograph couldn't substantiate (sporting or design prowess). BMW shouldn't be that brand.
Appreciate 0