View Single Post
      01-12-2013, 04:06 PM   #115
edx1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive35i

Another idea is to start a trend that if you've customized the car using a new badge that's not the ///M.

///C ///K ///E

But I also think BMW has watered down and half ruined the M branding because they're willing to label almost all models as M'ish when they aren't, and people don't want to admit their X5M or X1 M line aren't a real M at all. True M cars are 50%-30% or less of the same parts as the original car. The fact you can get factory M labeling on an X1 and other models that are mostly all cosmetic is pretty stupid considering they really don't fit in even the same ball park for changes and improvements for true M cars. The M package on the X1 is basically all cosmetic and no real M guts because there are no part differences (wheels and seats don't affect handling imo) and only 1 software change that gives you more rear biast on acceleration through corners between a small range like 29mph and 57mph, though I don't recall the exact numbers'.

If BMW is willing to put an M steering wheel and M labeling all over the inside and foot wells I see _very_ little difference in someone putting the ///M badge on the outside. I also think that if someone does modify a bmw for performance improvements, to me it's more worthy of an ///M badge than an X1 is of having any M labeling anywhere when it's all cosmetic.

I mainly blame BMW, not the OP, for the interest in M package labeling and badging on models that don't deserve the badge in the first place. I understand they do it to make more money but I wonder if they'll stop before most enthusiests start saying BMW's are poser performance cars and are all badging and not real peformance, like Audi started doing and hurt their own brand (from the Original TT to even the new RS-Q3 that has the same 0-60 as the X1 xDrive35i). Many people think the newer BMW F chasis performance is not as good as the E92 and E46. Also the Nissan GTR beats all M cars in almost all areas and is less expensive than most M models. Some of the numbers gaps the GTR pulls compared to M's is shamful.

Anyway, I hope people posting that the OP shouldn't put an M badge are also e-mailing BMW and complaining about M labeling on the X1 and other models that aren't true M cars.

If I saw a ///M on an X1 I'd be interested what he's done to make it ///M worthy as I think it's possible people can make an X1 worthy of the badge with a lot of work. If someone ///M badges an X1 and did no real performance upgrades I'd think he's the BMW fanboy they seem to want to attract lately with M package labeling for their cars.

Last edited by edx1; 01-12-2013 at 04:13 PM..
Appreciate 0