View Single Post
      07-18-2012, 08:13 AM   #25
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX78703 View Post
I think there needs to be a reasonable amount of ground clearance, the ability to stand 2 bikes in the boot with the rear row folded, and a "reasonable intent to tow".
On those grounds, you are eliminating a large number of cross-overs that exemplify the tradional definition, which is merely a utility vehicle that is built on a passenger car chassis. That is to say that, there are plenty of CUVs out there that can't tow or fit bicycles, some of them greatly popular such as the Ford Escape for example - the most popular CUV in America.

Quote:
I also feel that the RX350 and the SRX are "fakers".
They are what they are. And the former is the best selling luxury crossover here in the states, by the way.

I'm not intending to be overly critical of your position. I am merely saying that while I appreciate your apparent effort to suggest that the utility vehicle has perhaps become watered down as of late, we just can't just rewrite the definition of a crossover on arbitrary terms.

Quote:
The third thing that came to my mind was "I'll take an F20/F21/F31 over this anyday."
Thankfully, BMW has decided to bring the F31 stateside. The F20/F21 aren't currently viable in the US. The necessary asking price would keep sales too low to be profitable. The next general 1-series, based on the FWD UKL platform to be shared with Mini, has a better shot I'd say. But then that one won't be nearly as interesting to most Bimmer-phile types.
Appreciate 0