View Single Post
      04-29-2011, 04:00 AM   #4
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper

Mine is also the Diesel (no petrol models in the UK) and as Dave says plenty of low down grunt to get out of deep slippery stuff.

I have done some light offloading in mine, partly out of necessity, partly experimental.

Rough farm tracks - no problems except the ground clearance. The front approach angle is better than any sedan but you still have to take some things at an angle to prevent the front spoiler from being torn off.

Deep mud - Easily drags through them, even up to axle depth, However BIG difference depending what tyres you are on. I would not trust anything deeper than a foot or so on my summer tyres. Winter tyres no problem.

Snow - pretty much the same as mud. On my winters the only thing that would stop me is if I start ploughing. Summers, forget anything deep and icy.

So in a nutshell I think the off-road ability is somewhat restricted by it's tyres, but on the right type it's pretty good in my opinion.

I have some pics of the mud exercise posted on here somewhere.
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela
Appreciate 0