View Single Post
      08-11-2015, 09:04 PM   #19
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: N55 X1, N54 135, s54 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxical3 View Post
If you did suspension work you would understand that the dampers are not supposed to support the weight of the car. This is a function of the springs. Adding a damper that is valved for a stiffer spring to a soft spring will create an uncomfortable ride that will still bottom out..
What are you talking about? If you know how dampers work, you'd know they can't support the weight of the car. Spring support the car.

A stiffer damper, however, can slightly reduce suspension travel during quick high speed impacts (and transient maneuvers...but not generally in steady state cornering). That's suspension 101.

I clearly mentioned giving back more OE-like travel via the bumpstops. But it's so close, a bit firmer compression dampening may very well be enough on it's own.

No one is adding dampeners that are valved for stiffer springs. HDs are loved by many for use with stock springs, as well as OE-type sport springs having close to stock rates.

Quote:
I may use a shop for my wrenching (I live in a condo with a HOA that says I can't work on my car), but I have spent $10,000 trying numerous suspension setups, spring rates, and dampers on my car. My comments are from experience.
Quote:
My comments are from experience.
Really?

Tell us, when did you run H&R springs on aftermarket shocks with trimmed bump stops?

You're really being a jerk here, as you're claiming to speak from experience with something you clearly have not experienced.
'08 N54 535xi touring (Bilstein B6s, Downpipes, MHD tune, baby seat)

Last edited by PrematureApex; 08-11-2015 at 09:19 PM..
Appreciate 0