View Single Post
      08-16-2015, 10:52 PM   #39
spiceyxi
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 528i, '06 Z4C & '13 135i

I went to the UDE this morning and I enjoyed it. I can say it was worth the drive from Orange County up to LA and an interesting way to spend half a day. There is a display "tent" that has some cool New and Old BMWs to look at as well as snacks (peanuts, M&M's and dried banana slices) on top of the test drive and registered driving events (i.e. Autocross). Also, a FYI they had an "executive" trailer port-a-potty type thing (with running water).

I did the autocross (328d/428i) which was fun, but fairly group oriented. You plus another two people will share a car and driving instructor and there was 2 groups per instructor (total of 6 ppl per instructor). The driving instructor will drive the track twice once to point things out and the second time as a hot lap. After that each person in the car gets to do two laps followed by another 2 laps in the car you didnt start with and then being capped off in a timed lap. You get some pointers and areas of suggestion. The course was relatively short (~30seconds per full lap). The timed lap is the only instance where you are in the car with the instructor a lone.

You experience the X5 ramp and 5 series water pad as a passenger only.

My wife and I are glad we did it and I will probably be looking more seriously at a day or two out in Thermal (without the wife). It did help me on any future car decisions though as the 328d/428i and 640i (test drive) drove were fairly uninspiring and felt lacking. My wife drives our Z4 coupe everyday and felt the same way.
Appreciate 0