07-15-2010, 04:44 AM   #9
LRS
Dead Head
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335d Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWDave View Post
I'm personally surprised this thread even exists.

When you're paying the dollars we are for chosing a premium marque over a non-premium marque, aren't you buying the car for you and not for resale?

I plan to, and have, spec'd my vehicle how I want it for ME. In my case, i'm going for the reddish brown colour leather interior. Will that be to everyone's taste? I can't imagine. But then again, neither is the x1 to everyone's taste, with many threads on the forums dividing people down the middle on looks alone.

So yeah, I'm speccing my car for ME, not for resale. I've always been told blue bmw's don't sell. I've had two now and had no trouble selling the first and don't think i'll have any trouble selling the 2nd one (fingers crossed). Bottom line, I buy my cars for me.
If you’re going to keep the car until you scrap it then your completely right, choose anything YOU want with the car as you will be the only ever owner of the car.

The problem is that on the whole UK second-hand buyers can be quite picky and dismissive if certain options are missing. You then end up with a car that you either have to give away at a cheap price or it sits on your driveway for months and months waiting to be sold and costing you loads of money to keep advertising it. Because mainstream cars – not classic cars or special limited editions, are so numerously available in the UK second-hand market, people are ultra fussy on the spec and quickly dismiss anything that does not exactly match their perception of what a given model of car should have.

Unfortunately most of this is based on a 'sheep' mentality e.g. if everyone is buying silver cars, then this must be the best colour. Sadly, it's a self-fulfilling prophecy!

E92 335d SE Auto | Space Grey | Black Leather | 19” 230 Star Spoke | Comfort Access | Lumbar | Heated Seats | Black High Gloss Trim | Pro Nav | Assist | Bluetooth Telematics | Voice Control | High Gloss Shadow Line
Appreciate 0