View Single Post
      01-05-2015, 10:34 AM   #1
mwtrogus
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 35i

35i aftermarket exhaust, install attempt...

I bought a Corsa exhaust rear section designed for a 135 and just tried to install on a X1 35i.... figured i'd pass along some feedback on the issues and ultimate failure.

Corsa part #14564, good picture and movie link here:
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/BMW-...t-systems.aspx

First off, I knew it wouldn't just bolt up on the first try and thought my local exhaust shop could make it fit. Here is where we saw the fit issues and it is no issue with the Corsa exhaust, it is just made to fit the 135.

- The 2 bolt flange didn't fit well on the stock mid pipe exhaust gasket.
- The X1 35i has a rear cross brace support and there is a large triangular shaped black mounting point, this creates space issues with the exhaust pipe and routing as the muffler section cant be mounted high enough or close enough to the underside of the the car. The cross brace seemed to clear fine, but the large bracket was in a bad spot and takes up a lot of space.
- The exhaust hanger points do match up with stock, but the exhaust tips are about 2 inches away from where they need to be to exit the rear valance/diffuser. If the hangers were bent or reconfigured the tips could stick out the rear diffuser, but then you have 2 inches to make up in the pipework.

Some of these items could be modified and things forced to work, but the shop nor I felt like a day's worth of cutting/twisting/tweaking was worth the effort of costs. The x-brace support seemed to be the big hurdle to make the Corsa muffler fit properly. It's a shame since the Corsa system looks great and from all the hype with their zero drone muffler design, I wanted to have this system installed. We did start the car with no muffler and it does sound good under revs, but too aggressive for me as a daily driver and detracts from the "sleeper" fun factor.

This is my daily driver so I wanted to keep a muffler section and don't want the drone of the straight pipe setup, nor the "cold start" loud exhaust. I run catless downpipe right now and will either run the N55 catless midpipes - #18307599743 or try an aftermarket set, like Agency Power, MadDad, Berk.

So for now, I'll stick to stock muffler and eliminate the mid cats and see if that gives me a slightly more aggressive sound and increased exhaust flow.

Again, I just wanted to pass along feedback on the fitment of a 135 designed system onto our X1 chassis to answer questions that have floated around the forum and in my head for a long time! Sorry that I didn't take any pics!
Appreciate 0