02-04-2014, 02:21 PM   #8
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel8810 View Post
Dislikes:
6 Auto is just not good if you desire any performance... Just about the worst transmission for this motor.. I have owned a (2) 335i 6mt and driven their automatic counter parts and it feels like they have different motors.. The N54/N55 Motors just come alive with a manual.. I was hoping the Paddles would sufficiently assist the auto but it is not just the same.. I did not expect a 6mt to M DCT relation but was hoping to be able to get a little more out of the motor in manual mode..
Flash it with the Alpina B3 flash. I have done so and while it's not quite a DCT, it's a massive upgrade over the stock software. The stock software has delays everywhere - feels like it takes a full second to shift after you hit the shifters. After the alpina mod the delay is gone. I've used the flash at Mid-Ohio on the track and it's just great.

Throttle tip in is very very sluggish...
Quote:
Exhaust Note = Turbo Prius. At start-up idle you get a decent little rumble but then nothing while driving except for a little blow off noise... I can't understand how the vehicle can be so closely related to the 135i and the two exhaust systems sound completely different.. I suspect that BMW toned it down in the X1 to satisfy a broader client base but I am planning on addressing the issue asap. Even our family X5 35i has a little bit of a buzz saw exhaust note under acceleration...
This is an easy fix, luckily. The exhaust is actually pretty much identical to the 135i except that BMW has included midpipes with secondary catalytic convertes. If you cut them out it will sound exactly like a 135. As for me, I opted to leave them in but delete the main catalytic converter right after the turbo with a BMS catless downpipe. Way better sound with zero drone (since I left the midpipe cats in) and gained about 20 whp.
Appreciate 0