View Single Post
      01-24-2014, 11:34 AM   #1
Diesel8810
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 35i MSport

2014 X1 35i MSport - 6k mile review..

Hello everyone... I am a long time BMW Owner, Enthusiast and ex employee..

I just picked up an X1.. After much debate vs. another 335xi sedan I decided to go with the X1 for the added utility and also the $10k lower msrp.. My ONLY major reservation was the lack of a 6mt option... But due to my current work and life situation I did it anyway.. Here is my review and Mod plans..

2014 X1 35i Msport
Alpine White w Coral Red Leather
Ultimate Pkg
Heated Seats
HK
19" Wheels

Good Space for Hockey Equipment or Mountain Bike stuff and Cooler.
My 2yr olds Recaro Pro Sport fits great and it is easy to get him in and out.
Goes in the Snow... Albeit it takes an experienced drive on Summer tires.
This Baby X5M fits the bill as a daily driver for the next few years...

Dislikes:
6 Auto is just not good if you desire any performance... Just about the worst transmission for this motor.. I have owned a (2) 335i 6mt and driven their automatic counter parts and it feels like they have different motors.. The N54/N55 Motors just come alive with a manual.. I was hoping the Paddles would sufficiently assist the auto but it is not just the same.. I did not expect a 6mt to M DCT relation but was hoping to be able to get a little more out of the motor in manual mode..

Throttle tip in is very very sluggish...

Servotronic as standard = Brutal.. I never liked BMW's active steering system or Servotronic option... I always have loved the heavy feel of BMW's steering.. With Servo it feels like I am driving a Lexus.

Exhaust Note = Turbo Prius. At start-up idle you get a decent little rumble but then nothing while driving except for a little blow off noise... I can't understand how the vehicle can be so closely related to the 135i and the two exhaust systems sound completely different.. I suspect that BMW toned it down in the X1 to satisfy a broader client base but I am planning on addressing the issue asap. Even our family X5 35i has a little bit of a buzz saw exhaust note under acceleration...

Needs a little wider stance in the rear... 20" Staggered Wheels or some spacers for the time being...

MODS: Not trying to reinvent the wheel here.. Just a few mods to keep me happy.. An X5M or another M3 is in my future once we build or find the house we want...

Wipe the X1 badge and side "xdrive35i" badges - DONE

Exhaust - I am currently deciding whether to wait for some decent tuner options or just go to my buddies muffler shop and do something semi custom. It needs some growl for sure though.

Intake - BMS - Ordered

Tuning - BMS Stage 4 - Spring (when the wife is not paying attention)

Wheels or spacers - I think I will try out some BMS 18mm R and 12mm F and see if that improves the stance to my liking.. I hate the tucked in look that it has now and especially from the rear.. I'm still debating what 20's I would want to go with... Maybe something Concave.. Still looking around..

Anyway that is my story so far on this one..
Appreciate 0