View Single Post
      11-07-2020, 09:04 PM   #4
Jonathan0880
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketfoot View Post
For starters, other than minor differences due to wear, the OD is going to be identical for any 225/50/17. So I do not see how there could possibly be a 1" difference between your summer and winter setups.

I would go one of two routes.

#1 - swap your tires/rims (put your summer tires on your winter rims and you winter tires on you summer rims). That way you have the nicer looking (to you) combo for the time of year you want to be able to see your calipers (not that the factory ones are a sight to see).

#2 - if you just plain don't like the summer rims, get something new. I'd suggest a set of nice lightweight Apex ARC8s in black or anthracite.

I absolutely would not run winter tires all year long. The horrible stopping performance would frankly be hazardous.
The OD is about the same, I went by eye so not that accurate, but I'm pretty sure the winter tire comes out a tad larger, that just might be the treads though.

Yeah, not sure if I want to swap, because I'm not sure if the "dartyness" is due to the run flats....but I'm assuming it would have to do more with the rim width? but both tires sit at ~ 9" wide so I'm confused as to what's going on with that.

I'll most likely just go with a new rimset for the summer. Nice suggestion, I like them. My whip is grey so I partial to bronze on grey. I think the path forward would be to do that, just get rims and put the RF's on them. If I'm not happy with handling, then spring for new tires completely. One thing I know is that the RF's are heavy AF. I don't like that, it's really noticeable and takes away from the sportiness.

Thanks for the helpful comments.
Appreciate 0