View Single Post
      01-12-2017, 02:35 PM   #43
doogee
Major
Rep
Drives: '08 M3, '09 328xi Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
No offense, but I have done a bunch of research on this, and I'm well aware that GPS isn't the sole method of geolocation for autonomous cars. Apologies for the lack of clarity, but nevertheless: these cars will need at least two completely failsafe systems -- again, completely failsafe -- to operate even remotely well among both each other and manually operated vehicles:
- Geolocation
- Proximal location (i.e. radars, visual sensors, etc.)

Furthermore, the only one of my points that you were able to try to refute was #3 (and #4 since it is related). All others you conceded were not solve-able at this time. What that tells me, irrespective of your individual argument, is two things:
- There are no real solutions to these scenarios at this time that have the possibility of becoming ultrareliable, and
- Manually operated vehicles will always be mixed among autonomous vehicles in areas where both can operate.

The second one is key and goes hand-in-hand with point #2 because the bottom line is this: our vehicular infrastructure -- roads, power grids, fuelling, even the roads themselves since traffic flow theory would change drastically -- will likely have to be near completely transformed, if not completely rebuilt, for autonomous vehicles to even begin to be viable on a majority scale.

Care to tell me how that will be paid for, and by whom, in each country where such a technology would possibly be viable? And all of this, just to save some lives -- not all, just some -- at the expense of the right to move about freely?

Come on. What automakers and entities like Google and Uber are doing is exploring the possibility for autonomous vehicles to serve their own business purposes, the bottom line of which is one thing and one thing only: revenue. That alone will keep autonomous vehicles from becoming viable on a mass scale for several generations in this country, because by nature, competition discourages collaboration unless it is mandated by a more powerful reality: a government, or fossil fuels running out, or alien invasion (sic), or what have you. And collaboration will be needed to create autonomous systems that are failsafe enough to be viable on a mass scale.
For you and anyone who is still in denial about this. Just look at current forecasts from vehicle manufacturers and quite a few credible people. It is going to happen. It's your kind of thinking that stalls innovation.

It's going to take a while.

http://www.driverless-future.com/?page_id=384

Also, I never claimed to be an expert. I bet someone can answer your questions with great detail.

Just because I dont know, doesn't mean there is no answer lol.