View Single Post
      03-29-2018, 03:38 PM   #36
pfschim1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 MSport 35i Ultimate

I'm 6 weeks into the tire change from RFT to the A/S 3's on my 2015 35i XDrive M and thought I'd report back on my experience.

I definitely don't miss the harshness of the OEM RTF's
Daily driving, or weekend cruising is a much smoother experience with the new rubber, and still plenty spirited.

On the curves at speed, I notice the effect of the somewhat softer sidewalls on the A/S 3's compared to the OEM RFT's .. at least that's what I think I am noticing. We have done our usual handful of trips to the mountains this winter (just came back from a trip yesterday) and once you are up there, the roads are pretty twisty (mostly in a good way). I feel like I am not able to be quite as aggressive on the repeated inside/outside curves these twisty routes provide as I had been with the RFT's. It's nothing terrible as I am rarely going more than 10-15 over the posted speed (40-55).

Overall, I am happy about the change (had to get new tires one way or the other), it definitely gives the car a smoother ride. But, I would say there is a noticeable driving dynamics change on twisty roads at speed. My X1 remains very nimble, quick (enough) and fun to drive, but it does seem to lean into curves at speed a bit more than before. Another thing here may be that I need to get more experience with the new tires. I did drive the RFT's for 4 years and have only been running the A/S 3's for 6 weeks, so maybe just some more time with them will help me adjust my handling of the car.

cheers

Last edited by pfschim1; 03-29-2018 at 03:44 PM..
Appreciate 1