View Single Post
      01-26-2018, 06:00 PM   #32
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: N55 X1, N54 135, s54 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamb1t View Post
It looks like you are basing your input in reading reviews. As opposed to my own experience. But ok lets go there. Let's tirerack.com reviews. In the nature of statistics there something called sample size. Both the continentals DWS with 51M and 06 with 5.xM miles. They both have excellent reviews and are upper tier of their segment. The larger sample size normalizes extremes and provides more accurate picture of these products. More so i am speaking as a former owner not web mining data to support ones agenda.

The X1 while is a decent handler its class it is not a common sight at weekend track events or autoX. Whether you accept or not our X1 is no M3 or Miata. Owners that take their X1 to track are exception than the rule. You can drive a Corolla S to the track and tell to the world that it handles well but it doesn't change its owner demographics and it's target use. All season tires are about compromises, it comes down to which area you can live with on your driving application.

I suggest you read the poster's intended use of the tires. No track application. Let it sink in.
What are you talking about?

We're talking about all-season tires here. No one is talking about the track, or an autox course. No one is running DWSs at the damn track.

The fact of the matter is, the sidewall is very soft, which can be felt driving the car around the block. In daily driving, and particularly depending on your size/aspect ratio, they can drastically affect the way a car feels. Couple that with literally any kind of spirited street driving, and you may find yourself pulling them off the car, as many, many others have.

Do you know why they made the DWS06 in the first place?

They were responding to a lot of negative public opinion about the handling of the tire (on the STREET). So they sacrificed some snow performance in order to bring the sidewall a bit more in line with other high performance all-season tires.

Another fun-fact...they were so lamented by so many people that Discounttiredirect (big online retailer) requested Continental make another high performance all-season with a better handling. They marketed it as an improved version of the DWS and sold it exclusively (before the 06 was released).

"Let that sink in." The tire has its reputation for a very good reason.

Your average, I'll say, "enthusiast" could EASILY feel the difference between a DWS and an AS3, for example, even driving to the grocery store. Have you even tried them?

More generally, I think the overall point of your post is quite flawed:

Might your average soccer mom not feel the difference that many like me felt so drastically? Sure.

But, which you blatantly ignore...

Your average soccer mom doesn't post on enthusiast car forums.

Your average soccer mom doesn't buy a 300 bhp, $45k little X1.

Maybe, just maybe, the OP is even half of an enthusiast who enjoys his car's handling even a bit. In which case, recommending the DWS is asinine.
'08 N54 535xi touring (Bilstein B6s, Downpipes, MHD tune, baby seat)

Last edited by PrematureApex; 01-26-2018 at 06:33 PM..
Appreciate 0