View Single Post
      01-09-2018, 02:16 PM   #26
pfschim1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 MSport 35i Ultimate

well, this is certainly getting spirited

FWIW, I like the way the X1 looks or I would not have bought it.
I also like the way it performs too. I chose the E84/35i Xdrive MSport over the 4 cyl S drive models because of its sporting intent (at least). I moved from Infiniti sport coupes (G35S M Coupe, and G37S M Coupe) which are very raw sporting vehicles compared to the X1. I did it because I was ok with the compromises the X1 presented, and it offered me a way to get some more utility (vs a Coupe) and still have a solid, smile inducing driving experience.

It has not let me down on all scores and thats why I bought my lease.

So, as for tires, I believe I do understand that the Pirelli RFT's with their very stiff sidewalls and pretty harsh ride are part of its current/stock performance profile. Remember, I do like the car with its stock tires enough to have bought it. BUT .... having read enough comments on this forum and others, I would like to go back to standard (non-RFT's) tires .. mostly to see if I can get the ride to smooth out a bit, while not making a huge compromise in dry handling (80% of my driving in N Cal) .. and also having a tire that will do reasonably well in the snow when I head up to the Sierra's 3-4 times a year. The RFT's are also pretty stupidly expensive compared to most other non-RFT options .. at least IMO.

Back on topic ..
DSW06's do seem to review well
but I am also open to other suggestions that are proven by experience.

I need to take care of this in the next 2 weeks or so as I am already in a treadware mismatch situaiton and I don't want that to continue very much further into the new year.

Thanks for the insights and spirited defenses of various solutions to my situation.