View Single Post
      01-14-2014, 03:21 PM   #8
forteatwo
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 S-Drive

There are two TPMS warning lights. One is the big warning light in the center of the dash display that tells you something is wrong, the other is a tiny yellow icon in the upper part of the dash that indicates the system is off.

When I put my non-TPMS snow tires on last week I pulled the fuse for the TPMS, started the car and followed the reset instructions and now the only light that comes on is the little one on top which says the system is off. It is the same type of light you see if the ESC is deactivated, which I do if I want to do donuts in the snow (RWD is so much fun). It appears as though you do not have to reset the TPMS every time you start the car which is nice. I can live with that. So that is a nice option for folks who like myself are only putting the snows on for three months or thereabout.

The other option is to deactivate the TPMS by recoding but this requires changing the Vehicle Order or VO. That will get rid of all the warning lights. My understanding is that is not a wise thing to do because the dealership will have to undo that to do any repairs on your car that require tapping into the cars computer.
Appreciate 0