View Single Post
      12-21-2013, 02:06 PM   #13
bill1963
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 bmw x1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MazdaFan View Post
I appreciate your input but I think I was misunderstood. I am simply comparing driving experience of my old E90 vs X1. It is not a critical review of X1, I believe the combination of utility, AWD, and price makes it the best deal available, otherwise I wouldn't have bought it.

At the same time, I think it is pretty accurate to say that the main advantages of X1 over 3 series are utility, ground clearance and convenience of getting in/out of the car.

My biggest gripe with X1 is lack of a manual transmission. I am sure going from an auto 3 series to X1 is a much closer experience. As I said before I am impressed by X1 ride quality and handling.

In terms of interior quality I believe both X1 and F30 are a step down from E90, the quality of soft touch materials and hard plastics is definitely lower. X1 feels more plasticky and less insulated inside (what is that foam around steering column, is it 1980s all over again?). You might not notice it because engine revs lower on highway, but wind noise is more noticeable. They have better technology, so depending on your priorities you might like the old or the new one better. Keep in mind that my 328 was 5k more expensive in 2008 than my X1 in 2013 (47.5 vs 42.5 MSRP). About half of the difference was due to features (active steering, HK sound and HIDs but no backup camera or parking sensors), so lower material quality in X1 is justified and accepted. Heck My heavily optioned X1 is same price as a base 328ix touring with identical drivetrain.

BTW there is one more thing, I transferred my cargo tray with all the junk on it from 328 to X1. It is a decent fit. The cargo hold in X1 is about 1 inch shorter than E90 trunk, so I just folded the lip behind back seats and I was good to go!
I believe you about the lower interior quality because you have owned a e90 in the past and I didn't. Anyway, can't believe an X1 is cheaper than a 3 series back in 2008. I thought car price jacked up quite a lot since then.
Appreciate 0