12-20-2013, 07:09 PM   #4
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MazdaFan View Post
I had sport seats in E90 and liked them, but in X1 I believe they make less of an impact. This is not a sport car anyway, so sport seats are not required in my opinion. Buying a BMW is a cost/features compromise for most people, so in my opinion this is where you should start cutting cost, vs not getting tech or premium packages. But I understand people have different priorities.

Unfortunately BMW doesn't offer AWD and manual in most models anymore, the only option is F30 335 which is kinda pricy. I drove a Subaru Forester manual and it was old school fun, but the engine is border line weak. There isn't any other options in US market if you need manual.

I had N52 in my 328 and I could push it and still get good mileage. I am sure N20 can be fun and it has the power, but the mileage drops quickly when you push it. You should let it loaf at 1500 rpm to get good gas mileage. Same with transmission, in sport or manual mode it could be fun, but I don't think you can get higher than 20 mpg if you drive it like that. I will experiment a little bit and update my review when I have more time with the car, but I still think this transmission which supposed to be state of the art in automatics is not a substitute for a manual.

My advise is to stick with your E82 as much as you can, X1 is no substitute. Only switch if you really really need the utility and AWD. In my case I was getting close to 100k and the car was due for new tires, battery, tune up and registration. So I thought it was a good time to upgrade. If I had spent a few thousand on those items I had to keep it for at least another 30k miles to make it work financially.
Yes, I really enjoy my 135i 6MT, and if we get a dog again, I guess I could flop the rear seats down, put a cover over that area, and haul the dog that way. Not quite as good as letting the dog get into the hatch area tho. AWD is nice for the winter months up here, but one can live without it, and I learned to drive old school with only RWD cars, only two snow tires on the rear, and a weight in the trunk. My 135i doesn't have many kms on it, so will likely keep it. The biggest issue is the auto vs manual for me.