12-20-2013, 05:47 PM   #3
MazdaFan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 xDrive 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuco44 View Post
Thanks for posting your comments.

Not getting the sport line or MSport would mean you lose the sport seats, which IMO, are well worth the extra dollars. All my BMWs have had the sport seats, and I would not be without them.

Your other interesting comment to me, is about the tranny. As you say, I wish the X1 came with a MT6 option, that would convince me to switch from my 135i as I could use the extra utility and the AWD feature. Just not crazy about getting the auto tranny tho.

I assume your 328 had the N52 engine. How does this N20 4 cylinder feel against the N52?

Thanks.
I had sport seats in E90 and liked them, but in X1 I believe they make less of an impact. This is not a sport car anyway, so sport seats are not required in my opinion. Buying a BMW is a cost/features compromise for most people, so in my opinion this is where you should start cutting cost, vs not getting tech or premium packages. But I understand people have different priorities.

Unfortunately BMW doesn't offer AWD and manual in most models anymore, the only option is F30 335 which is kinda pricy. I drove a Subaru Forester manual and it was old school fun, but the engine is border line weak. There isn't any other options in US market if you need manual.

I had N52 in my 328 and I could push it and still get good mileage. I am sure N20 can be fun and it has the power, but the mileage drops quickly when you push it. You should let it loaf at 1500 rpm to get good gas mileage. Same with transmission, in sport or manual mode it could be fun, but I don't think you can get higher than 20 mpg if you drive it like that. I will experiment a little bit and update my review when I have more time with the car, but I still think this transmission which supposed to be state of the art in automatics is not a substitute for a manual.

My advise is to stick with your E82 as much as you can, X1 is no substitute. Only switch if you really really need the utility and AWD. In my case I was getting close to 100k and the car was due for new tires, battery, tune up and registration. So I thought it was a good time to upgrade. If I had spent a few thousand on those items I had to keep it for at least another 30k miles to make it work financially.

Last edited by MazdaFan; 12-20-2013 at 06:03 PM.. Reason: Added some comments regarding previous post
Appreciate 0