View Single Post
      12-20-2013, 05:13 PM   #1
MazdaFan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 xDrive 28i

My quick X1 review

I just bought (leased actually) a X1 xDrive 28i. Coming from a 2008 E90 328i with manual transmission and sport package, here are my initial impressions:

Mine is sport line with ultimate package and heated seats, so it is missing the HID lights and HK sound system and cold weather except heated seats.

After driving it for a couple of days I would say if you want to save money start with Lines. I think I would have been perfectly happy with a no line model with ultimate package and heated seats.

In terms of mileage it is too early to say, but just looking at the mpg gauge I think it will be hard to match my 328i manual if you drive them alike. In 4 years of ownership I constantly got 26 mpg from E90. I will update this post with my mpg when I use my first tank. (please note that EPA numbers for E90 MT is 18/28, and xDrive 28i is 22/33)

You definitely feel the weight of X1 vs 328. But handling is surprisingly competitive. It is definitely not comparable to E90 on runflats, but probably comparable to E90 on regular all season tires.

Ride is much better than E90 sport package on RFTs, similar to E90 sport package on regular all seasons. I have 18 inch all seasons on my X1. I believe for areas with bad and bumpy roads the standard suspension is better, I don't want sport suspension in Bay Area roads. For smooth roads m-Sport should be OK although I didn't drive it.

Interior quality is a step down from E90 (so is F30), but electronics are similar or better than the last E90s. Mine was a pre LCI E90 so definitely tech is much better in the X1.

Wind noise is more pronounced in X1, specially around driver window, but perceived speed is actually lower. I think at 75 mph X1 feels like E90 at 70 mph. The car is more sensitive to lateral winds (this should be obvious).

Overall I think the biggest problem for me was going from MT to Auto in X1. I wish BMW had offered this car with a manual. That would have been a really fun car to drive. With auto and turbo you need to keep revs lower than 3000 rpm, otherwise you can't get good gas mileage. I believe all automatic transmissions are programmed to trick EPA test cycle. I constantly beat EPA numbers in manual cars, but have a hard time matching them in automatic cars. Otherwise I am happy with the car so far.

BTW, there is one more thing: To add some perspective, I didn't like F30 as much as I liked E90.

Hope this review helps people who are considering buying an X1. Please don't hesitate to ask if you have specific questions about the car.
Appreciate 0