01-20-2011, 04:00 AM   #23
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by x6er View Post
Guys, dowe know if the X1 coming this spring to Canada will have the in-line 6 cylinder or the turbo 4? my SA told me that I can put in my order this March for April delivery....BMW showed the 28i with the 6 cylinder engine in Montreal Autoshow, so which engine Canadians are getting this spring? could it be the 6 then 2012 for the turbo 4!?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mprofiler View Post
From this article it seems as though NA X1s won't get the 4 banger? Is it true?

http://wot.motortrend.com/four-1-bmw...-x1-24599.html

"BMW officials tell us that this engine won’t be offered in U.S.-spec X1s, but confirm this engine is destined for the U.S. in other models. We’ve already heard the Z4 roadster is due to receive this engine sometime next year, but knowing BMW’s knack for dispersing engines across its portfolio, there’s a good chance we’ll see it in volume models like the 1- and 3 Series lines."
I have said this before, I highly doubt BMW will launch with a 4-cyl in NA. Historically they have never offered the small engines in that market. And it is a market that likes big engines. Also going by recent press releases they expect to sell 2000 X1's in Canada and 8000 in the USA per year Even if these figures are conservative they are small compared to European sales which alone topped 70 000 in the first year. Europe is far more likely to get the small eco-engines first and seeing as they will also be available in the other models supply will be limited, initially anyway.

So I stand with my original opinion that BMW will launch with a I6 2.8 Xdrive in auto. Following up with variations on this, say 2.5i/3.0i/3.5i. The T4 may follow eventually but its not going to be this year.
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela

Last edited by mario486; 01-20-2011 at 04:23 AM..
Appreciate 0